Sweet Potato-Ginger Spoon Bread
Butter, for baking dish
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, plus more for pan
2 small sweet potatoes (12 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk (1%)
2 large eggs, separated, plus 2 large egg whites
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon unsulfured molasses
1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2 quart baking dish and dust with cornmeal. Steam sweet potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and mash until very smooth; let cool. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring milk to a simmer.
- Whisk in cornmeal in a thin stream. Cook, whisking constantly until just thickened, 1 to 3 minutes; remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir together mashed potatoes, cornmeal mixture egg yolks, sugar, molasses, ginger, and salt. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in half of egg whites into cornmeal mixture. Very gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish, place on a baking sheet and bake until puffed and set, 35 to 40 minutes.